[The logo is protected from the company]
In 1989, National Interstate Insurance opened its doors with the idea that customer service and personal attention mattered. That clients were more than mere claim numbers, they were people. With real lives and real questions and real needs.We built National Interstate around our customers. And in the process, we built one of the leading specialty property and casualty insurance companies in the country.A wholly-owned subsidiary of National Interstate Corporation (Nasdaq: NATL), National Inte... Read More
|Address||Headquarters 3250 Interstate Drive Richfield, Ohio 44286 330-659-8900|
|Holding||No Holding Details|
View Company Page
The Underwriting Manager is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of assigned product lines through direct management of the underwriting of multiple lines of business (including, but not limited to: Auto Liability, General Liability, Workers Compensation, Umbrella, Property and Cargo).
* Supervise and review underwriters’ work, within the established level of authority, to ensure compliance with Vanliner’s Underwriting guidelines and philosophies.
* Approve the acceptance, declination, and rating of risks to ensure profitability and premium objectives are met and are within the established underwriting guidelines and levels of authority.
* Ensure that all aspects of the assigned products are properly managed, including presentation materials, legal documents, facultative reinsurance agreements, collateral, financial statements, premium collections, and regulatory approvals, etc.
* Conduct regularly scheduled audits of underwriting files.
* Monitor workloads through the company Workflow system and assemble production reports based on the findings.
* Participate with senior management in department and companywide initiatives related to underwriting procedures and strategies. Monitor the daily activities of the assigned areas to confirm compliance with those strategies.
* Coordinate Compliance projects and updates to ensure all forms, rates and rules being utilized are compliant. Act as a liaison with the Compliance department for assigned products.
* Interpret rating manuals and general business periodicals to ensure underwriting practices are up to date with state rules and regulations.
* Monitors underwriting practices and implements changes to processes and procedures to meet bottom and top line objectives.
* Analyze complex data presented in spreadsheet format and translate that data into effective underwriting practices and rating procedures.
* Work directly with Marketing, customers and insurance brokers to answer questions and resolve problems.
* Train staff in insurance coverage details, underwriting techniques, and quantitative analysis concepts and procedures.
* Prepare monthly management reports and understand the intricacies of the business to identify emerging trends and opportunities for expansion.
* Manage special projects as assigned.
* Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from a four-year college or university and a minimum of 6 – 10 years underwriting or underwriting management experience in the P/C industry with increasing levels of responsibility required.
* Graduate degree and/or CPCU designation is preferred.
* Ability to read and interpret documents such as policy forms, rating manuals, underwriting guidelines, and training manuals.
* Ability to write sophisticated and complex reports and correspondence.
* Ability to prepare, analyze and interpret detailed Excel spreadsheets, reports, applications and spreadsheet models.
* Ability to effectively lead meetings, present information, and respond to questions from management and customers.
* Ability to analyze complex financial data to identify emerging trends and areas of opportunity.
* Prior experience in and proven ability to analyze within underwriting and marketing functions and principles.
* Must be able to interpret policies, perform analytical research and make sound decisions using good judgment.
* Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Excel and Word.
* General knowledge and experience with databases is preferred.
Other Job Information
TalentOne Job Information
Open Jobs - National Interstate Corporation
- Accounting Supervisor
- Assistant Product Manager II
- Broker Marketing Representative
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Claims Adjuster
- Claims Adjuster Trainee
- Claims Examiner
- Claims Representative
- Claims Supervisor
- Commercial Lines Clerical
- Energy Product Manager
- General Manager
- Junior Accountant
- Marketing Representative Trainee
- Product Analyst
- Product Management Associate
- Programmer II
- QA Analyst
- Regional Account Manager
- Senior Claims Examiner
- Senior Claims Examiner (Captive)
- Senior Physical Damage Claims Examiner
- Staff Accountant
- Staff Accountant
- Underwriter Trainee
- Underwriter Trainee
- Underwriting Manager
- Workers' Compensation Claims Adjuster Trainee
- Workers’ Compensation Claims Supervisor